Police in Omaha said that three children tried to steal food from a Nebraska Burger King drive-through window by displaying what may have been a pellet gun.
Two 12-year-old boys and a 13-year-old boy were arrested early Sunday after the attempted robbery at a Burger King on North 72nd Street.
The restaurant reported that the juveniles walked through the drive-through lane at about 12:30 a.m. and tried to get food. The restaurant worker refused to give them anything, and the children fled.
Officers apprehended the children a short time later after the police helicopter spotted them running from the area.
Police did not release the names of the children involved, who were taken to a juvenile detention center.
A Thai woman accused of butchering, cooking and eating her two sons last week is believed to have done so because she hallucinated that they were pigs, Mental Health Department deputy director general Kiattiphum Wongrachit said on Tuesday.
“The woman killed her children because she didn’t continue her treatment and didn’t take her medication,” Dr Kiattiphum said.
Police last week received a complaint that a Musur woman butchered her two sons, aged one and five, in Chiang Mai’s Mae Ai district.
Police said they found her asleep at her home, with several body parts apparently from children near her.
They took her in for questioning, but she did not respond to any of their questions.
They then did a background check on her and found that she had been treated for a mental illness in 2007.
The woman, a member of the Musur hilltribe whose name was withheld, will be kept under close watch in the hospital for a long time, he said.
The hospital will check whether she is a drug addict and if she will need to keep her calm when she realises that she killed her children, he said.
She has been charged with murder, but being deemed mentally unfit to fight her case she was sent to Suan Prung Hospital for treatment.
Three daycare employees were arrested on Monday for watching and encouraging toddlers to fight each other while under their care.
According to Dover Police, three employees from the Hands of Our Future Daycare in Delaware were arrested after a cell phone video showed employees watching and encouraging two 3-year-olds fight each other.
Tiana Harris, 19, Lisa Parker, 47, and Estefania Myers, 21, were charged with Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Reckless Endangering and Conspiracy for the incident, which occurred in March of 2012 and was captured on cell phone video.
In the video police says one child can be heard crying and yelling, ‘He’s pinching me,’ while a daycare worker responds, ‘No pinching, only punching.’
“Clearly one of the children is crying and does not want o continue on and he is pushed back into the fray by one of the adults,” Dover Police Captain Tim Stump said.
Cristyl Slack says her 4-year-old daughter was in the room when the fight happened in March.
“That pissed me off just because I feel if my daughter is around anything I should have known that day,” Slack said.
The fight video is not being shown to Parents or the public because police say it is evidence.
“I can’t ever believe in a million years. I mean I would have to see the proof to believe it,” parent Amy Bickling said.
Hands of Our Future Daycare, located at 868 S. State St., has had its City of Dover Business License suspended pending a hearing.
The Dover Police Department arranged for a meeting Monday night for parents or legal guardians of the daycare’s children to answer questions and help parents find new daycare arrangements.
A Swedish man who reported to be suspiciously wandering the streets of Ostersund with an ax was actually participating in a children’s treasure hunt, police discovered.
Police said they received a call Saturday about the ax-wielder and responding officers learned that the man, 49, was leading a group of eight preschool children on the hunt.
“It took awhile before I understood that it was me they were after, so I kept walking until they came really close and shouted that I had to drop the weapon. Then I was both scared and stunned,” the man said. He said one of the officers was acting “aggressively.”
Police said they followed procedure in dealing with the man.
“I don’t think it’s strange at all that we acted the way we did. We have to take things seriously when you think about all that’s happening in the world,” police spokesman Peter Borg said.
The man was ordered to sheath the ax and allowed to continue the treasure hunt.
Two 13-year-old Ohio boys stole a parent’s car and drove it hundreds of miles away to Kansas City, Mo.
They were later found sleeping in a downtown alley.
Police had known the runaways from the Columbus area might pass through Kansas City because of information posted to Facebook, Capt. Steve Young said.
The boys were taken into custody on Monday by officers investigating a suspicious vehicle that matched the description of the BMW taken early Saturday from the mother of one of the boys.
“They were fine, fortunately,” Young said. “I think there are definitely a whole lot of things that could have gone wrong for them, and having the police find them probably would be one of the better outcomes.”
Catherine Johnson was relieved her son Cole and his friend Raheem Harris were safe, but she was surprised that the boys took off in her vehicle — for a trip that likely amounted to more than 650 miles.
She said Cole had wanted to go to California and she believes that’s where he and Raheem were headed.
“How it went on for two days and no one noticed boggles my mind,” Johnson said Monday by phone from Chicago as she waited for a flight to Kansas City to retrieve the boys, who had been turned over to the Jackson County Family Court.
Johnson said authorities told her the boys would not be charged in Kansas City. The car was towed.
Johnson said she has submitted a complaint over how Columbus police initially handled the case because she believes they took hours too long to get it filed and alert other authorities.
A Columbus police spokesman said he was unable to confirm late Monday that a complaint had been filed, but he defended the handling of the case and said officers followed the typical steps for dealing with such cases.
Those steps take time, he said, noting that information about the missing car was entered into a records database within about three hours of when the report was received.
A popular, 57-year-old puppeteer in Florida was arrested on charges of conspiring to kidnap children and possessing child pornography after chatting online with another man about his desire to kidnap, torture, rape, murder, and eat toddlers.
According to a 29-page criminal complaint compiled by Department of Homeland Security investigators, Ronald William Brown came to their attention as they were in the middle of an online child porn investigation.
While monitoring certain groups where pedophiles feel free to discuss their desires, investigators came across Brown and another man talking about the kids they would like to have sex with as well as Brown’s desire to kidnap a boy he knows, cutting him into pieces then cooking “a fine Easter feast.”
In other chats Brown remarked on the Florida weather and how the children in his area are running around practically naked. He also admits seeing a female toddler that made his mouth water. He would later tell investigators that all of these conversations were in the realm of fantasy and that he’d never actually hurt a child.
But it wasn’t the conversations that got him arrested. What got him thrown in jail was allegations that he asked a man in Kansas to help him abduct a child, and the images investigators snagged off his computer that consisted of dead children, children in bondage, and children in extreme pain.
When police searched Brown’s home, they found more child porn on his computer and a CD of child porn in his sock drawer. Brown was arrested and charged with conspiring to kidnap a child and possession of child pornography.
He is currently in the Pinellas County Jail and is expected to see a judge at about the same time this article is published.
Brown started his puppet business, Puppet Plus, back in 1992. Since then he has put on shows at a Tampa Bay Rays game and at Florida Botanical Gardens, He’s been featured in the paper and was listed in the Pinellas County Schools speakers’ directory as puppetry speaker for grades K-8. He was removed from that list on Monday after the school district learned of his arrest.
The complaint also details two other run-ins Brown had with police. One in 1998 when Brown was pulled for a traffic violation and the police officer saw boys’ underwear between Brown’s front seats. Brown told the deputy the underwear was to dress his puppets.
In 2010, police were called by someone who thought they saw Brown throw a sex toy under his trailer and was concerned about Brown having young boys in his vehicle. It turned out that Brown had the parents’ permission to take the boys to church.
A mom faces six felony charges for allegedly hacking into her children’s school computer to change their grades and read school officials’ emails.
45-year-old Catherine Venusto of New Tripoli, Pennsylvania , has been accused of changing her daughter’s failing grade from an F to an M for “medical” in June 2010, and then changing her son’s 98 to a 99 in February 2012.
This came nearly a year after she quit her job as an administrative office secretary to work at another school district.
Venusto was arraigned in Lehigh County Magisterial Court on three counts of unlawful use of a computer and three counts of computer trespassing and altering data. All six charges are third degree felonies.
“I’m concerned on numerous levels,” said Jennifer Holman, Northwestern Lehigh School District’s assistant superintendent. “When we say systems, there were three difference systems violated. There were 10 different users that at some point had their email violated.”
Holman first realized something was wrong when a teacher asked why Superintendent Mary Ann Wright was in that teacher’s online grade book. Once Wright explained she was never in the grade book, administrators and state police began looking for whoever used Wright’s username and password without permission.
State police discovered Venusto used Wright’s username and password 110 times to access the district’s online grading system, according to the District Attorney’s office. Venusto also allegedly accessed nine other faculty members’ email accounts without permission, and accessed the human resources “H-drive” to view “thousands of files associated with district policy, contract information, employee reports and personnel issues.”
“We deeply regret this incident and that this unauthorized access occurred, and we sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause,” Wright wrote in a statement. “We are doing everything we can to prevent this from happening again, and new security procedures are in place to better assure that our systems are protected from such attempts.”
Holman said the district’s news release and email purposefully left Venusto’s name out to protect her children, but the District Attorney’s press release revealed the name.
“It’s not their fault,” Holman said of Venusto’s children. “If the students continue to go to school here, which I assume they will, we need to do our best to support them in whatever way they need.”
The court set bail at $30,000, but Venusto will not have to pay it unless she does not appear in court for her preliminary hearing on July 26, according a District Attorney’s office spokeswoman. If convicted, Venusto could face fines, jail time, and restitution payments.
Venusto could face a maximum of 42 years in prison or a $90,000 fine, according to District Attorney’s office spokeswoman Debbie Garlicki, who said the maximum penalty on each count is seven years or a $15,000.
56-year-old William Prada form Missouri has been charged with first degree assault after he allegedly opened fire on an 11-year-old boy who was setting off fireworks.
The child was with two other boys in an alley near McCree and Thurman, not far from Interstate 44 in St. Louis, last Thursday night.
Police say that the three kids were riding their bikes in an alleyway and shooting off fireworks.
Prada had an encounter with the kids about the fireworks. Soon after the kids took off on their bikes and that’s when Prada allegedly started shooting.
A bullet hit the 11 year old in the left thigh. His injuries are not life threatening. The other boys were not injured.
Prada confessed to the shooting. He allegedly fired the shots because the children were playing with fireworks near his house.
“Mr. Prada is facing counts of assault in the first degree 3 counts of armed criminal action for shooting at 3 children one 11 and two 10-years-old striking and wounding one of the children. I’ve been in this office for nine years and I have never seen a case like this.” said Assistant Circuit Attorney Mary Pat Benninger.
Prada was arrested and is still in police custody. His bond set at $75,000. So far no word on a future court date.
A couple from suburban Chicago remain in jail after two of their five children were found blindfolded and bound in a Kansas Walmart parking lot.
The parents from Northlake, Ill., are each charged with two counts of child abuse and five counts of child endangerment. The charges are felonies. The man also faces one count of obstruction.
Deborah and Adolfo Gomez, of west suburban Northlake, were arrested Wednesday on two counts of child abuse and five counts of endangering a child.
The children are aged five through 15. Police say the two youngest, ages 5 and 7, were found bound and blindfolded in the family’s Chevy Suburban SUV that had been parked in a Walmart parking lot since Monday. The vehicle had no license plates, according to police.
Police say the family was traveling to Arizona to see relatives when their SUV developed mechanical problems on I-70 and they stopped in Lawrence.
A customer called police from inside the store saying they saw a child in the parking lot with his arms tied behind him sitting next to a van.
The vehicle was surrounded by police while the mother was shopping inside the Walmart. They say the father resisted when they tried to enter the vehicle, and they used tasers to subdue him.
Authorities in Lawrence are making temporary arrangements for all five of the children, while the parents are held at the Douglas County jail.
As for any injuries, the police made no mention of any in their statement, the local paper reports that medics examined family members at the scene and no one was taken to a hospital.