A mother was caught on a hidden camera in hospital allegedly trying to suffocate her baby, after claiming that her newborn son repeatedly stopped breathing.

Katie Lewis had rushed her five-month-old son to hospital telling doctors the child would stop breathing, turn blue and then regain consciousness.

Staff at the Children’s Hospital in St Paul, Minnesota, arranged for the child to be placed under observation for 24 hours in a room fitted with a video and audio monitoring system.

They also performed a series of tests but could find no evidence to support 24-year-old Lewis’s claims about her baby.

Lewis was told her son was being released from hospital as doctors could find nothing wrong.

Staff reportedly became suspicious when Lewis insisted there was still something wrong with her baby.

As a nurse watched on a video monitor Lewis allegedly tried to smother her son.

She picked up her son, pinched his nose and held her hand over his to cut off his airways, a report says.

According to an arrest report the boy kicked frantically and after 45 seconds went limp and unresponsive in his mother’s arms.

When medical staff rushed into the room, Lewis told them, ‘His heart rate went down and he turned blue.’

Police were called to the hospital and in an interview with detectives Lewis said she ‘wanted to do something’ so that medical staff would help her child.

She also admitted she ‘snapped’ due to the stress and frustration of bringing up her children.

Lewis allegedly admitted to stopping her son from breathing on several occasions from February 12th.

She said she was familiar with CPR and knew how little pressure was needed to cut off her baby’s oxygen supply.

The young mother was charged with child endangerment, domestic assault by strangulation and third-degree assault.

Prosecutors praise the quick thinking hospital staff.

‘This is a sad and terrifying act by a mother against her infant son,’ said Ramsey County Attorney John Choi.

‘Thankfully, a quick-acting hospital staffer stepped in to stop the assault, and now the infant is in good condition and in a secure location.’

In a statement from the director of the Minnesota Children’s Resource Center at Children’s Hospital a spokesman said the infant sustained ‘substantial bodily harm.’

Share and Enjoy:
  • Google Buzz
  • MySpace
  • Orkut
  • Reddit
  • Tumblr
Tagged with:

204 Responses to Mother caught ‘repeatedly suffocating her newborn son while in hospital’ after telling doctors the baby would spontaneously stop breathing

1. Emily Puffer says:

Wow I'm from this area. That's sick and twisted. She don't deserve to be a mother

2. Emily Puffer says:

3. Emily Puffer says:

4. Emily Puffer says:

5. Emily Puffer says:

6. Emily Puffer says:

7. Emily Puffer says:

8. Emily Puffer says:

9. Emily Puffer says:

10. Emily Puffer says:

11. Emily Puffer says:

12. Emily Puffer says:

13. Emily Puffer says:

14. Emily Puffer says:

15. Any mother that is willing to harm their baby in any way, shape or form should be disallowed to mother any child. This same situation happened to another 5 month old baby in another state and the women did the same thing so I guessing that she might have seen the incident and thought that she could get away with it.

• What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

• I totally agree with you and if it was because of stress she should not have been afraid to ask someone for help. People experience post pardom depression all the time and they end up doing wierd things to their children instead going to their OB Doctor. Many women over look the signs that point to a post pardum melt down if that makes any sence. Im just glad that the baby is ok.

16. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

30. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

31. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

32. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

33. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

34. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

35. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

36. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

37. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

38. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

39. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

40. Brittany Volkart says:

41. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

42. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

43. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

44. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

45. Brittany Volkart says:

46. Brittany Volkart says:

47. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

48. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

49. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

50. This is beyond sick . Any mother that will hurt their own child deserve to sit and rot in prison. Nd live a horrible life . Nd not to be able to have children. I could never ever think to do some crazy like this to a person I strongly hate how could somebody do this to their own child.

51. Brittany Volkart says:

52. Brittany Volkart says:

53. Brittany Volkart says:

54. Brittany Volkart says:

55. Brittany Volkart says:

56. Brittany Volkart says:

57. Brittany Volkart says:

58. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

Wtf, I could never do that to my child. I came even fathom the thought. I can't believe people like this can reproduce but when good people, like my sister, and her husband are wanting kids but can't have them it makes me sick.

59. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

73. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

74. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

75. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

76. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

77. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

78. Rebecca Morgan Peters says:

79. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

80. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

81. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

82. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

83. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

84. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

85. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

86. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

87. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

88. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

89. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

90. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

91. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

92. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

93. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

94. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

95. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

96. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

97. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

98. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

99. what the hell is wrong with people, if u cant handled it give the child up not kill it , what the hell gos thouth there heads that they think they can get away with it or why killing there child is the right way,

100. Rosie Moore says:

No brainer if she was caught once that should have been enough to take the child away from her and put her ass in prison for tempt murder!!

101. Rosie Moore says:

114. Rosie Moore says:

115. Rosie Moore says:

116. Rosie Moore says:

117. Rosie Moore says:

118. Rosie Moore says:

119. Rosie Moore says:

120. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

121. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

122. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

123. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

124. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

125. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

126. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

127. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

128. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

129. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

130. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

131. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

132. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

133. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

134. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

135. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

136. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

137. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

138. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

139. What a dumb bitch…. So ppl just don't need to have kids!

140. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

155. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

156. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

157. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

158. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

159. Elizabeth Joe Moore says:

160. Adam Cooper says:

dumb ass bitch should be torchred then put in prison for life where she would b repeatedely beat.

161. Adam Cooper says:

175. Adam Cooper says:

176. Adam Cooper says:

177. Adam Cooper says:

178. Adam Cooper says:

179. Adam Cooper says:

180. Adam Cooper says:

181. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

182. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

183. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

184. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

185. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

186. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

187. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

188. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

189. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

190. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

191. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

192. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

193. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

194. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

195. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

196. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

197. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

198. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

199. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

200. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.

201. OMG. No thats so sad. U r a mother u r sopost to keep. Your baby's safe. From harm.